Ecological cultivation and processing, along with fair trade, form two equally important, as well as inseparable pillars of africrops!’ philosophy. Cultivation by our partners occurs in strict accordance with our ecological principles. The main principle in this regard is the support of small-scale farmers, who directly reap and support their livelihoods from the small agricultural cultivations they hold. To ensure sustainability it is highly important that the environment is impacted as little as possible. In this regard no herbicides, pesticides or artificial fertilisers will ever be used in the cultivation of africrops! products.
In particular the criteria for the ecological practices of africrops! are:
- Support for the cultivation of small agricultural holdings and therefore support of small-scale agricultural activities and farmers. In this sense we also do not cultivate in industrial-style capacities and do not participate in so-called ‘land grabbing’ practices.
- We avoid the creation of monocultures. The diverse cultivation of different products allows a healthy harvesting cycle, strengthening the crops natural defence mechanisms against adverse climatic conditions and diseases.
- No chemical treatment of any of africrops!’ products. No pesticides or herbicides are used during the cultivation or processing of our products. They also do not undergo any kind of chemical fumigation during oversea transport.
- None of our products have been genetically modified.
Manual harvesting of crops. There is no use of agricultural machines.
Processing of the product occurs in the direct vicinity of the farmer’s location or even on the farmer’s own property. This reduces the effort required to transport the product and adds value to the farmer’s product. This earns him an increased income and creates new job opportunities for the farmer, the farmer’s family and people in the farmer’s immediate surrounding.
- Increased use of recycled packaging, which can be recycled itself.
We consult all our partners in matters of ecological cultivation and ecologically produced goods.
- We compost any production leftovers (e.g. from Moringa) and encourage our partners to do the same. The composted leftovers are in turn used as a natural fertiliser for new crops.
- In addition to abiding by ecological and biological principles in the cultivation and processing of our products, africrops! will soon be attaining organic certification in accordance to European and US standards.